06 October 2010

bondage, forgiveness, freedom

The American flag stands for freedom. It is a symbol of what men and women have fought for and came out victorious.
We fight for our governing freedoms, but do we carry that over into our christian lives? Are we willing to fight for freedom in the spiritual sense?
The kind of freedom I am referring to is the kind of freedom that you give to someone by releasing them from bondage. What do I mean? To put it simply, when a brother or sister in the Lord seeks forgiveness and we do not offer that forgiveness we keep them in bondage instead of offering them freedom. Why not release them from that bondage and set them free?
I have found that people in the church can be the most unforgiving and judgmental of all people.
Why is that?
People who do not even claim Christ will offer forgiveness faster than anyone else.
Why is that?
I have so much admiration for my brothers and sisters who can come to a place of offering forgiveness to someone who maybe killed their child in a drunk driving collision. Was it simple for them? No! It was something they wrestled with and fought for, but in the end, did what they were called to do- forgive.
We are quick to offer forgiveness for little things but when it comes to bigger things.....we hold on to those. We look down our nose at others when it comes to the "big" things. Who are we to decide what is big and what is small? We are commanded in ALL things to forgive.
How about breaking the bondage you have someone held in?
How about offering freedom to them?
How about forgiving them?
What has been your experience in this area? Feel free to respond anonymously.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice article Angie, it reminds me of Luke 6:36-38
"Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I am a sinner, saved by grace, washed in the blood of the lamb. I am in no position to throw stones due to my glass house. I'll leave the stone throwing to the only man who EARNED the right to throw them as he sees fit...a right reserved for Jesus Christ. He earned the right to judge. He earned the right to condem. He earned the right to forgive. He is more qualified for the job than I. He does it better than I. And I am thankful he did it for me. Thank you Lord.
Mike

Anonymous said...

I think that a lot of christians want to be strict about big sins (as long as it doesn't involve them) and yet they think they are "better" because they don't have some "big" sin but in reality everyone is in the same boat.

Connie Head Lowe said...

I read your Blogs. Very good.