25 October 2010

messiness

Man, oh man, oh man....can kids get messy! I mean, just look at that face on Eden. Isn't it adorable even in the messiness? Doesn't it make you smile looking at that messy face? Now, when she was done, if she were to ask me for a kiss, do you think I would reach out and kiss her with that messy face? (Well, to tell the truth, I have kissed her with pink frosting on her lips). This time she was just a little bit messier, so I would have cleaned her up first and then smooched her sweet face right off! You know how it is, they can get really-really messy, but we love them so much that we lovingly and gently help them get cleaned up and returned back to their old cute self.
I wish it were like that in the adult world.
What? We get messy? Yes. I am talking about other kind of messiness. The kind that hurts and is much more difficult to clean up. Adults makes messes. I know that my christian friends would jump in and do whatever they could to help an unbeliever clean up a mess. I have seen them in action. They have helped people through one crisis after another, all to show the love of Christ and in hopes that they would want to know Him more. We want to minister to a lost world. Those without God make so many messes. And we expect them to make messes. Lots of messes.
Christians makes messes too.
What? We get messy? Yes. All kinds of messes. Even the ones that hurt and are difficult to clean up. However, this is where things get a little "different". I am surprised at my christian friends at times. Oh, not all of them, but a lot of them. When their brother or sister makes a mess, they want to hurry up and wash their hands of them. They don't want to invest the time it takes to help restore them. The Bible tells us to be good to all people, but especially to those in the family of God (Galatians 6:10). We should be willing to gently and lovingly come along side them and help them clean up a mess, loving them no less.
We have so many opportunities to love, encourage and help one another to clean up messes. The ways are endless. Facebook, for example. Instead of looking at someone's messy profile with a judgemental attitude, why not post something good and encouraging on it? If we take the simple way out and ignore them or just delete them, well, isn't that wiping our hands of them? How will we reach them? How will we help them if we just write them off? Here's another example
. Meeting with them. If they want to meet with you and talk, my goodness, don't turn them away! That is your opportunity to listen, speak Truth to them, pray with them, love them and help them figure out a path to clean the messiness up and be restored. What about gossip? Instead of adding to a mess, why not ask the person wanting to gossip if they would be willing to pray about it all? You lead them! Call your christian friend, just to speak some kind of encouragement. Email them. Buy them a book that you think could be helpful. Oh, the possibilities are endless.You could be a part of investing in a future pastor, another Beth Moore, or even a brother/sister who will one day use what you have invested in them by ministering to your children or grandchildren!

I know from my own experiences in life that I have had some wonderful believers step in and help me through some very difficult times that were brought on by my self. And they walked right beside me every step of the way and still are today. I also know the other side of being tossed to the side as a used up christian not worth anything. That is painful. Imagine being a part of pulling someone down when Christ wants to use their mess to turn them in to better. Or turning your back on them and they never know their true potential and live the rest of their christian lives defeated. How heartbreaking!
Whatever the mess, no matter how long or how hard it will be to clean up the mess, don't give up on them. Don't give up on your brothers and sisters in the Lord. They
need you. Love them. Love them. Love them. You are bound together by an eternal bloodline. You who were bought with a high price yourself. You who have been forgiven of sooo much. You need to love and help not only the lost, but those messy siblings as well. Besides, I bet YOU have made messes before...

11 comments:

Rachel Duggins said...

She's adorable,of course you would give her a kiss.

Mary said...

I have been saying this forever. We can't just win the lost and then be done with them. It is then our responsibility to continue to disciple them,, which is ongoing.

Anna Vissing Ward said...

nice blog my messed up friend. :o)

angie shockley said...

Takes one to know one, right? :)

Anna Vissing Ward said...

absolutely!

angie shockley said...

have a friend who always says, "hey, I'm messed up, you're messed up, we're all messed up!" haha!

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that those with small messes like to point out the bigger messes of other christians. I guess it makes them feel better about their own mess. Bigger messes are more noticeable so people like to talk about those the most.

ashley said...

love the picture, and the blog! very true!!

David East said...

im a mess toooooo, HAHA!

angie shockley said...

Hahaha! Yes, David, you are! But, it's okay, I will STILL be your friend! :)

Julie said...

Just like you said one time, if we all walked around physically naked, we would be so embarrassed and too worried about our own physical flaws to notice everyone else's naked flaws. Same spiritually, if we were spiritually naked, we would be so consumed with our own sins that we like to hide that we wouldn't even bother looking at someone else's sin, even if it were huge. We would be too busy trying to cover our own to notice. Sound familiar? YOU taught me that! :)