29 June 2011

disappointment

For years I have wanted one of those strawberry pots. I had the fantasy that I could go out and pick a fresh strawberry right on the spot. Add a couple of strawberries to my salad or pancakes or toast and .... mmmmmmm. I decided the time had come to grow my own. I went to the garden center and strutted home with a new hobby.

I wanted to do my very best. I treated that plant like a baby. Each day I would make sure it had the perfect amount of water and picked away any leaf that remotely looked like it had a dead spot on it. Success! Several buds and little berries were in the making. One in particular was proved to be my star strawberry. He raced out to be the biggest and the best. A real show-off. It worked for me. I was excited! Only star treatment for this one. Daily, I tenderly picked it up and made sure it was not touching the soil or resting on any leaf. I even had encouraging pep talks with it. We were in it to win it. (Only I had plans of sinking my teeth into it. But, shhhh.)
That berry slowly turned the brightest red. Perfection was almost at hand. I tried my best to be patient and wait until the perfect timing to eat it. One evening I decided that tomorrow would be the day. Finally!
The next morning I quickly got my workout clothes on and headed out the door for a morning run, fully prepared and excited to pick that strawberry on my way. I opened the door, went to my plant, bent down and discovered this....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Some critter had also eyed my strawberry. And ate it! I was so disappointed (I talked to that thing for cryin' out loud!). I pouted for the rest of the day. I whined to anyone who would listen to my story. I couldn't even look at strawberries in the grocery store. Disappointment.
While I would never, ever, compare a strawberry to the hard-core disappointments that people experience daily, it did make me think. We all know the tragedy of disappointment. Some also rise up to be bigger than all the rest. People wake up each day and discover a piece of their happiness stolen by disappointment. A phone call telling us that a parent passed away, the doctor's appointment turning into news of cancer, a dad receiving a pink slip, the final foreclosure notice in the mail. People sometimes disappoint us. Finding out the person you were living with is not really the person you knew, your children getting into terrible trouble, people using your emotions for their benefit, people pretending to care about you for their gratification. The list is endless. Disappointment.
What do we do with it? We can be angry and bitter. Blame everyone around us for our disappointment.Whine to anyone who will listen. Let it consume us. That is certainly an option. We could also chose to ignore and avoid the disappointment. Pretend it didn't happen. Out of sight out of mind. Deal with it later. That would be another option.

The option I have found that works best is to look it in the face. Acknowledge it. Then turn to the Lord. Pray about it and tell Him about your disappointment. He wants to listen. He wants to help you know what to do. He is sovereign and His hand is always operating in and through the disappointment. We have to trust Him. With a yielded heart your relationship with Him will grow deeper. He will use this disappointment to produce a more mature life of Christ in us. After all, our heart's desire should be genuine Christlikeness. Use this disappointment to your advantage. Psalm 119:71 "My suffering was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees."
Now, back to my silly strawberry. I am still working at it. In the meantime, Kroger has them on sale for $1.88.

13 comments:

Cathy King said...

I just gotta say this, I would have given anything to have had a video tape of you, when you found that strawberry or rather, half a strawberry! LOL!!

Sarah said...

I always try the best I can to give stuff over to God. That is the only reason I haven't physically hurt someone yet!!

Brenda said...

Oh, Angie, I really do love to read your posts. They inspire me to not just do "good" but to do "better".

I have the hardest time letting God be in control. It's not that I don't trust Him. Well, maybe my actions say otherwise. I guess I get scared if I don't feel like I am in control.

A bad habit of mine is writing people off who disappoint me. I know the right thing to do is to make peace with those that hurt me. Especially when I know they are sorry. I just can't do it. I think I actually want to stay angry at them. It somehow makes me, the victim, feel justified.

Sorry, I am rambling on and on.

By the way, Publix has the strawberries on sale for $1.87. You can save a penny! Ha-Ha!

Love,
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Dang girl! I haven't quit laughing! I read it to my husband and he was laughing too. I'm like Cathy King I would loved to have seen your face. I bet you threw one big hissy fit!
-Michelle

Stephanie V. said...

You forgot another option. Kick that sorry disappointment in the teeth! That's what I did to my ex. But I know you aren't like that. So call me next time! (I am kidding. A little anyway. I do know the right thing to do but I have to much mean in me.) Stepahnie

Denise Henning said...

The Bible says we are to cast ALL of our cares unto the Lord. He clothes the lilies in the field and feeds the birds of the air. How much more will he take care of you? (Matthew 6:26 28) He cares about our smallest disappointments and our largest disappointments. When we are hurt and choose bitterness, anger and unforgiveness, we indulge ourselves in this cycle. So, why not be gluttons of sweetness, kindness and forgiveness? Love you, sweet, sweet friend.
Denise Henning

Melissa said...

I guess I would have laughed too but I am a Tomato lover and I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. Fortunately for me, but not the worm that ate my almost ripe large tomato, I was able to take my frustrations out by smooshing the worm with a brick. That little bandit!
However, I know that isn't completely what this post was about. I have a saying, I don't hold grudges because it takes too much strength. When I am disappointed in someone I usually confront them. It doesn't alway settle things but it does something toward helping me heal. As far as deaths and sickness, I dealt with that early in life when I lost a dear cousin/close friend when I was only 16. I survived on my faith that God had a plan. I am not sure how people without faith survive such things. And most importantly, even though I was young, I learned a very important lesson. Life is too short! Take time to enjoy those that you love. Don't find yourself too busy to share moments with your family.

Terri McCullers said...

Great stuff! I couldn't help but think of John 10:10: The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.

angie shockley said...

Cathy, Somehow I knew you would receive some kind of sick pleasure out of that! Turkey!!

Sarah, You are funny. Yes, I am sure that the Lord is the one who keeps my tongue under lock and key, as well!

angie shockley said...

Brenda,

You are too kind. Really. I am the one who needs to be inspired daily but thank you for the compliment.

As for having a hard time letting God be in control, we are ALL guilty of that. It is a constant wrestle! Anyone who would tell you they totally let God be in control of everything in their life is....well, telling a big fib! At least you recognize the fact and are honest enough to admit it. We all need for christians to be open and transparent about stuff like this instead of pretending to be perfect. I find your confession to be truly refreshing!

Annnnnd....we are also all guilty of "writing people off" from time to time. I have learned that we forgive those that we want and make peace with those who have least offended us. Oh, christians will SAY they forgive "because Jesus forgives" but in reality, they only forgive those that they WANT to forgive. We all want to feel justified in our hurt. That is natural. Wrong, but natural. Surrendering our right to be hurt or mad is one of the most difficult challenges in the faith.

Rambling? Honey, you took off the perfect christian mask and decided to be real. Ramble on.

I will stop by Publix! ;)

Love you, Brenda!

angie shockley said...

Michelle, Does stomping your feet mean an all out hissy fit? ;) If so, yes. I had a hissy fit!

Stephanie, You haven't changed a bit! I can sooo see you doing a TKO on somebody! haha. I will be sure to call you next time I need someone taken care of!

Denise, I liked your thoughts. We are good at indulging and being gluttons, aren't we? So, yes, it would serve us better to put those words to use in a positive way! Thanks, sweet girl!

angie shockley said...

Melissa,

I wish so much that we lived closer!

Yes, life is short. What a shame if we spend the precious time we have being miserable, living with regret, holding grudges, feeding bitterness, harboring unforgiveness. That does take a lot more energy. Those things are like a weight around the neck. All it does is make one tired, old before their time, and crippled. Thanks for the reminder. I need it. Often these days.

Love you, dear friend!

David East said...

Thanks your right the little stuff shouldn't matter. And I fill your pain bought upside down tomato planter at Lowes, lid wouldn't fit!