25 July 2011

a rare jewel

One particular Sunday after church, I encountered a rare and precious jewel.
After services I wanted to freshen up a bit before going out to lunch. As I walked down the hallway to the restroom, I noticed an elderly lady struggling to get the exit door open. I am pretty sure the door was heavier than this petite lady. Assuming she must have forgotten something, I quickly offered my hand to help her across the threshold. She piped out, in what was a booming voice to her, but barely above a whisper to me, "I thought you wanted to go out, so I was opening the door for you!"
I told her that was very sweet of her to open the door for me, but I was actually going into the restroom and not outside. Still assuming that she must be coming back into the church, I told her I would love to hold open that heavy door for her so she could come back inside. She said, "No, no, no...I don't need to go inside. I just wanted to hold the door open for you." Hiding a little chuckle, trying to figure out why this tiny, fragile lady would want to hold the door open for me when I am clearly much more able than she, I smiled sweetly and thanked her.
Finishing up in the restroom and coming out, I was so surprised to see that same little lady trying to pull open that heavy door for me once again. What in the world? After the door was open, I thanked her and told her that I could get the door, not to let me be a bother. With a little spunk in her eye and an equal amount of spunk in her voice, she kindly said, "Honey, are you trying to steal my job?" Taken aback, I grinned and couldn't help but let out a little laugh at her feisty spirit. She went on to say, "I can't do a lot of things for the Lord any more but I can still open this door for people and send them off with a cheery good-bye!"
I did everything I could to hold back from grabbing that sweetheart of a gal and hugging the stuffins out of her. But, she was just too stinkin' cute. I told her I wanted to take her picture to remind me that there is no age limit when it comes to serving the Lord. She said she would love to take a picture as long as I would pray for her every time I looked at it. That was an easy agreement.
That particular Sunday, I truly did meet a rare jewel. I met Mrs. Jewel Sims. Wasn't she appropriately named? Go ahead, smile...I know you want to...

9 comments:

Jean said...

So sweet Angie. I smiled from the beginning to the end. I love the way you tell a story. Ms. Jewel is a gem for sure!
Jean

Denise C. Henning said...

Angie,

We have a little old lady like that at our church. She is always there and does anything and everything that she can. She actually is more active in our church than most people. And all the while with a smile on her face. Never complaining. Now THAT is a rare find!

DCH

Christy said...

Good grief, woman! Don't be trying to take that poor lady's one and only job! lol!

I think it's awesome that she still gives 100% of her self. Most of the older people I know in church just want to go to conferences and have meals for families of people that die. I guess they figure they have put in their time already. lol!

Love ya, girlie!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Angie, she looks so darling! I don't blame you for wanting to love on her! :) Thanks, for sharing this sweet story. It made my day!

-Micah

Anonymous said...

Dont you just luv it when an unexpected "jewel" shows up in your everyday life!

Lisa Bryant said...

I love the way you tell a story. THis is one special lady. I'm glad you shared this with us.

angie shockley said...

Hi Ya'll!

Loved reading your comments! There certainly are not enough of these kind of dear souls around anymore. She is a special lady.

Lisa, Thank you! Love you!

Melissa said...

Wow, what would the world be like if more people had that kind of loving heart? What a blessing this little lady is!

David East said...

now the rare jewel one name "Carol"! Think you will remember her too!