02 June 2011

whaaaat? i'm not cool???

The other day I was riding home from the gym with one of my girls. It was a gorgeous day...the sun was beaming and the temp was perfect. When the weather is like that, it becomes a roll-down-the-windows-open-up-the-sunroof-and-crank-up-the-tunes kind of day. There we were, cruising down the road, wind in our hair, singing and dancing (well...car dancing). That's when one of those grand moments happened!

THIS song comes on the radio!!! (sorry, had to use this video, the real one was a little too racy!)



I turned up the volume just a little more and converted back to the 80's. My daughter says, "This song is so cool." What? Did she really say that? I was thrilled! So, I went all out on the volume and began an equally all-out sing along (the only thing that could have made the moment better would have been a big round hairbrush to use as my microphone!) There I was... smiling, singing, dancing and being such a cool mom who knew a "cool" song. Then it happened.

"Uh...mom? How do you know the words to that song? I haven't even heard it before." Me, still being cool like I am, let her in on the secret..."Honey, this is a song from when I was a teen. It was a hit back then. Don't you just love it?"

Ok, you know the scenes in movies and tv shows where they suddenly scratch the music and it comes to a halt? Mmmmhmmmm....you're catching on. This would be the moment that would have happened if this were a scene out of a movie.

In pipes my daughter's horrified comment, "Oh. My. Gosh. Mom, quit singing this song. Ewww. It is NOT cool." Huh? Are you kidding me? Wait, you just said it was cool. I am cool and I sing cool songs, so I am confused. I ask, "If I had not told you it was one of my teen songs, would you still think it was cool?" and I got an honest answer, "Yes. And you knowing the song makes it even more uncool". WHAAAAAT????? I AM COOL, DANG IT. What does this kid know about being cool???

Funny, I am soooo "uncool", yet they listen to my 80's music. They wear shirts off the shoulder- a la Flash Dance style. They are now wearing neon colors. Hello? Anyone notice LEGGINGS??? I mean, really? Me, not cool?
I think, deep down, they know I am cool. They just don't want me to take pleasure in KNOWING I am cool. Right?.....Hello?......Right?

13 comments:

Kim said...

LOL!LOL!LOL! I happen to think you are pretty cool for an old lady....

By the way, can we get a picture of you with the big hairbrush while singing? I think I can make some money off that. :-)

Tamara Oudman Batson said...

Love your blog!

Jennifer said...

Too funny! I know what you mean, though. The boys suddenly act like they don't know me when we go places. They want me and their dad to act like we don't know them if we go to the mall! Well except for when they need money! Thanks for the good laugh today, I needed it! I always get excited when you FINALLY do a new post. So get working on the next one already!!! :)
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I wish you would have been MY mom growing up!!! I would have loved you and thought you were the coolest ever!!!!!!!
Tamaria

angie shockley said...

Kim- Old lady? Very funny! I will have you know that I, darling, am still in my 30's! And, as for the hairbrush picture....ain't gonna happen. :)

angie shockley said...

Tamara- Thank you, friend! Enjoy the time you have with your little ones while they still think you are the coolest person in their entire world! :)

angie shockley said...

Jennifer- I think having girls makes the mall a little different of an experience for me. Boys don't really want to shop in a mall, but my girls love shopping with me at the mall. Well, let me clarify...as long as I am shopping for THEM. haha!
Really sweet of you to say such nice things about my posts, but they really are just stuff that happens day to day. So, if you want another post quickly, then you need to have my girls create some kind of drama for me to write about!

angie shockley said...

Dear Tamaria,

I wish I could have lavished all the love in the world on you. Every little girl needs to feel like a princess. Sometimes childhood can be difficult and sadly it is brought on by other people's bad choices at the expense of an innocent little one.*Sigh* But those experiences can be used for a greater cause!

Much love!

Sarah said...

I understand how you feel very much.There is times my two say the same thing. Angie we are soooooo cool they don't even know it.

Lisa Bryant said...

Angie, You are one of the coolest moms ever. Go ahead and sing your heart out to the 80's songs. We memorized those songs easily back then because we didn't have so much adult stuff filling our heads. Have you ever read the book called "Inside the Teenage Brain" I can't remember the author. It is written for parents. I will give you the author in another post.
I really enjoy your blogs. You have a gift for story telling.
Lisa Bryant

Anonymous said...

Isnt it funny, what goes around, comes around! This is SO TRUE! I recall two children sitting in back seat of station wagon telling us the same things. Now their children are saying it. Grand kids will do the same to you. Theres that age ( around 12) where we are not so cool to them.So if your lucky enough to be with these little darlings, enjoy it, this to will pass. Hey, if we can only get those stirrup pants back??

angie shockley said...

Dear Anonymous-

Stir up pants???? haha! Geesh, those things can stay packed away in the fashion mistake vault!

I do think it is kind of funny that they think the "skinny" jean is their creation. Uh...Hello? Tapered jeans??? That's right. We were so ahead of them. Oh, and they didn't look any better on us than their skinny jeans do on them!

yvonne4christ said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. You Angie are a beautiful person inside and out.