08 February 2011

fear. it's a girl thing?

For well over a year, Gracie has been wanting to get her ears pierced. However, she always panics at the last minute and backs out, deciding to wait. Last week, we were at the mall once again and found ourselves inside a jewelry store...once again.
This time there was a girl there who had just finished up getting her ears pierced. She began to tell Gracie that she was terrified to do it, but now that she did it, she wondered why she made such a fuss about it. With that encouragement and a wallet full of cash, Gracie debated. After much fretting, she came to the conclusion that she should "just do it" because she would always be afraid to do it, so what difference did it make to be afraid today or be afraid tomorrow (now that is some awesome 9 year old wisdom!). I gave her every opportunity to back out. "Let's just hurry and do it"... she was scared but determined.


Here she is sitting in THE chair. Can you see fear written all over this child's face?! Still not sure if she will go through with it.


This is it, kiddo. The consent form is being signed...."Are you still sure?"...the response was a very quiet, "yes". Notice the hands tightly clasped?


Sensing her fear, the sweet girl doing the stabbing...err, I mean piercing... offered her to hold a bear. At this point, I am wondering if her fear is about to make her throw up! Look at that face!


Here we go, marking the spot for the holes....this is where we have to turn off the camera...for legal purposes. Gracie looks at me. I know she is thinking, "legal purposes????"



Voila! She did it!! I was so proud that she challenged herself and took control of her fear. Her last comments: "I didn't know my heart could beat that hard. I thought it was gonna pop out of my body! But I am so glad I did it!"
Don't we all face some kind of fear? It comes in all shapes and all sizes and does not play favorites. We need to try to control our fears. Better we control them than they control us. Not to say that we shouldn't have fear. Goodness, it can be healthy. It keeps us from doing stupid things sometimes!
For all of the
sane things we may do, though, don't let fear keep you from living. Especially if fear is keeping you from doing things that God has called you to do. It's normal to be scared, but remember, God will walk with you, step by step. He won't abandon you...and He won't let your heart pop out of your body either!

...Signing up for Warrior Dash (
www.warriordash.com)....so, who is on board with me??? C'mon...chicken.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

I believe, need I remind you, that you also said, fear can sometimes keep us from doing "Stupid" things!! You know, I have, no doubt, that I could do this "Warrior Dash," but, do I "want" to subject myself to this?! Hmmm... I will have to think on this and just see, if my "rational" wins out over my "stupidity!" LOL!!

angie shockley said...

My Dear Best Friend Cathy,

By the very nature of our relationship, you are obligated to join me in this insane, crazy and FUN event.

Who would be there to drag me through the mud? Who would lift my big butt over the ropes? Who would pull me out of the fire if I tripped?

Would you really want to be responsible for what might could happen, and you weren't there for me?

As for stupid, I may be stupid but you are still sick! :)

Besides, where else could we put on warrior paint and wear a buffalo helmet? We would be dang cute in that attire!!! :D

angie shockley said...

Cathy, I left you a response. :)

Cathy King said...

Yeah, I read it already! I'm still studying about this insanity!

Micah Stanley said...

You go, Warrior Girl! and I want to see some video footage :o)

Anonymous said...

Hello Penguin girl:
I saw you getting ears stuck on the blog. You looked like you were going to be sick. I'm sorry you went through that fear. But hey, smile now & enjoy all those pretty bobbles you can put on!
See ya soon, love Momaw penguin

Mary said...

That Gracie is so precious! Just darling. Takes after her Mama! Honest. You are the sweetest!
Love you,
Mary

Sarah C. said...

Gracie is growing up on us! All of your girls are. I agree with Mary that they get their sweetness from their mom but I would also add that they get their beauty for their mom too!!!!

Ashley Rauch said...

I'm so glad she did this! The last time she was at my house I complitmented her on her earrings. She told me they were just clip ons and she seemed so bummed about it. I asked if you guys wouldn't let her but she said no she was just scared to do it. Proud of her!