25 January 2011

will you be my valentine?

Ah, Valentine's Day. One of my very favorite holidays. It is a day that you can lavish those that you love with lots of extra lovin's. An "over the top" kind of day. From the time we are little this day is known to be a special day.
I remember my very first "real" Valentine. It was from a boy named Eddie. Fourth grade. He gave me my Valentine right before lunch. He didn't want anyone to see him do it, so he walked by and quickly tucked it in my lunch bag. I saw him put it in there even though he didn't think anyone was looking. I couldn't wait to get to lunch so I could open it up. It didn't disappoint. It was all girly with lots of hearts and lace. On the inside it declared, "Will you be my Valentine?". And, of course, I wrote him a note later that said, "YES!". There were many Valentine cards that were given to me over the years. Flowers sent to school, boxes of chocolate, and dinner dates. All in the name of love.
As we grow older, that love becomes more complicated. Love is declared and then taken away. Hearts soar with love and then crumble in heartache. You would think that the older you get the easier it would be, but not always. I mean, we have had lots of practice! However, people will declare their love for you but do things that go against that being true.
Some people will promise loyalty to you, but then abandon you when you need them most. Some claim to be your best friend, but then walk away as if they never knew you. Some will tell you that you are the "whole package", but decide they don't like your package. Some will use you, tell you that you mean something special to them, but hurt you in the end. Some will play games with you, knowing that they don't want you, but will still pull on your heart strings. Some love simply ends. Sometimes you may not recover from the broken heart. Sometimes you may always carry special feelings for someone. Sometimes there are regrets, wishing things could be different.
The one steadfast truth that we can know, is that the Lord is NEVER like that. His love is perfect and unconditional. It is solid. No swaying one way or the other. His love is faithful. He will never use you. He will never abuse your heart. He will never tell you lies. No games with Him. He LOVES you. Romans 8:38-39 tells us that nothing, absolutely nothing, can separate us from His perfect love.
The great thing about the heart is that unless it stops beating, you can change so many things about it! It can pump again, but better. It can swell up with tenderness once again. It can forgive. It can be revived! One of my favorite flowers are tulips. I love how they shoot up early in the spring and stand at attention in vibrant colors. It is a reminder that spring is here and the cold, hard winter is leaving. The tulips dies but it isn't the end. It faithfully comes back once again. The heart is a lot like that. Resilient.

This Valentine's Day, I am wishing you all a day full of love. If it is a particularly hard day for you, bask in the knowledge that one day you will know perfect love. For right now, you can know of the love of a Savior and one day you will be able to reciprocate that perfect love back to Him and others.
For all those people that have faithfully loved me; I love you.

14 comments:

Sheila said...

I have recently gone through a divorce and I will say, it was hard going through it, but I am happier and freer than I ever thought I could be. The divorce was ugly and tough, but on this side of it, I am living once again!!!! Love is messed up. We can't help who we are attracted to. It just happens. But OI am thankful that god still lvoes me!

Anonymous said...

I will be your valentine.

stump said...

the word love sometime is used to easily and to freely.it takes a lot to love someone like me example do we ready love Jesus if so why don't we all live for him? why do we pretend to be something we aren't. my prayer is for me to always be in love with Jesus and show it when it is diffcult and when i say i love you to mean it. sharing how much God loves me and you. so i do love you my dear sister but i am some one else's valentine. love yall Jeremiah 31:3

Kelly Browning said...

Angie,
You are so special! I can't imagine anyone wanting to break your heart! I would think that any guy would be incredibly lucky to call you their own. Sorry for those that missed out! I can tell that you are still the life of the party. :-D
-Kelly Browning

Julie said...

Angie, So true about God! He does love us no matter what. I might lose the love of man, but I won't lose the love of Christ! Man's love is fleeting and conditional. His is not!

Oh, and I knew you loved tulips! :)
Julie

angie shockley said...

Jason...We all know how much you really like girly stuff..so this should be right up your alley! (and, btw, did you actually read it? I know, it is probably over your small Kentucky mind, but see if you can read it and understand it. I can translate later if you need help.)

Jason Hatmaker said...

Reading the post was enough to make me chuckle, and NO I won't be your Valentine!!

angie shockley said...

So, what does that mean??? Chuckle?? And, good. I don't want you to be my Valentine anyway! Give me anymore lip and I am telling Laura.

Jason Hatmaker said...

You sound a little tense...Zumbaaaaaahahahahahaha!!

angie shockley said...

Dear Anonymous...thanks! I think? (unless you are a stalker??)

Stump...Love you, too! Thanks for always being there for me, despite my very few flaws. :)

Kelly...You are too sweet! And, yes, I still do love to cut up and have a good time!

Julie...That is amazing that you would remember that! You are awesome to be able to keep up with those kind of details!

JASON HATMAKER!!!!! I am gonna come up there and Zumba your rear end!

David East said...

Unconditional Love, isn't it great! Thank You, Jesus.

angie shockley said...

Yes, David, it is great! Man's love will always disappoint, but His love will never disappoint. :)

Unknown said...

Oh Angie, I hope you know how much I love and care for you & your precious family. I have known the loss of love in many ways over the years in failed relationships, broken promises, the divorce of my grandparents, my own divorce, an abusive relationship and finally the loss of the greatest love in my life. God felt the need to draw him from this earth for reasons we may never understand. But because of God allowing me the honor of knowing Chris, bearing his child and watching him nurture all three children we shared and him declare as gifts to himself from God... how indescribably blessed I am. To have known him was to know more intimately the love of God. At a time when I was still unsure of my own validity, partly believeing that I wasn't loveable, God showed me otherwise. How can I remain sad when I know God has shown me in a mighty way just how much He loves me. It is truly bittersweet. I will always cherish the time we spent together though it wasn't close, because I am a very reserved person, but I will always hold dear your posts, your witness and love extended to others in His name.

Love,

Karen

P.S. I would be your valentine but that might be a bit creepy. I'll let the Master hold that position... and Brad, of course!!! :D

angie shockley said...

Dear Karen,

Your words were such a sweet breath of fresh air. I have been and am still amazed at the strength you draw from Christ. I am not foolish to think that there are days that are very difficult for you. However, your steadfast declaration of love to the Lord, in spite of Him taking your beloved home, is an absolute inspiration to ME.
Over the past years, I regret not having invested more time with you. I do hope you know that I always cherished you as my sister in Christ, I tried to be there for you during some difficult times, and I tried to lead you in a way that helped you have a better relationship with the Lord. However, I am human. Don't forget that. I make mistakes. I wish I were half the person that you make me out to be! Wow, that would make me a half-way pretty good servant! :)
Know that I love you. And, I can't wait until the day that I get to see you, Chris and baby Seth (and the other two kiddo's)being reunited once again. I am smiling just thinking about that!
Much love to you this Valentine's Day, sweet friend.