08 August 2008

answered prayers

"Mama, I didn't even know we were at school all day, I thought it was just another half day! I had so much fun!" Those were the words that Gracie said the second I picked her up, through bright eyes and a big 'ole toothless grin. God certainly blessed us with much favor this week. The younger girls absolutely love their teachers (me too!). Gracie has already made a "bestest friend". ChloeBeth had a wonderful surprise too. She was hanging up her back pack and was shocked to see one of her sweet friends that she went to school with while at the Christian school. They were both so excited to have each other since they were both new. Now how about that? The same class. Coincidence? We know better!

Tuesday, Abbie and I went to register her at the High School. I was a nervous wreck driving there. Abbie thought it was no big deal, questioning me why I was so nervous. Well, it's not every day that we take our valuable treasure and lend it to someone else's care! But the next day, things were a little different. I had one of those times when a memory is etched forever in your mind. This time on the way to school, Abbie was the nervous wreck. As we pulled up to the place to drop her off, I put on the biggest phony face I could muster and gave her lots of words of encouragement (imagine me breaking down right there and then!). In that moment, she would have loved for me to walk her in and protect her from the unknown (now wouldn't that make a great first impression?), but it was an unspoken truth that we both knew that couldn't happen. She had to step out and do this one herself. And that is exactly what she did. Once home, she was cracking me up telling me about her day. So much for needing me!

I know there will be many hurdles in the days to come, but I place my trust and confidence in a great and mighty Savior. And in the meantime, I will bask in the goodness of these first few days!

Do you have any forever memories of the first days of your children going to school?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starting to school was hard for Brad and me. We had been mostly just the two of us for 6 years with his daddy's work load.He really did much better than I did. I will always be gratful to Mrs. Fiddler(his first grade teacher) for guiding us through a tough year( for me!!)He couldn't help being the cutest, smartest and sweetest kid in his class. So what if the girls took after their dad!

angie shockley said...

*Ahem*
Mother, so are you saying that if the girls were not sweet that they would be taking after me?????? Just wanting to clarify!

Anonymous said...

I remember Angie first day school. We walked 4 city blocks,me carring her little brother on one hip. She looked like a princess, perfect hair, blue dress with white collar & sleeves, carrying that little lunch bag. She was a little nervous but not as much as I. We stopped outside school, looked at each other & I asked her if she was ready. We walked in hand in hand. Found her room,her seat with her name on it. Kids were crying,moms were crying. I kept swallowing & fighting back tears too.The teacher told us to keep it to minutes, it would be easier. So I left assuring her I would be outside class room at 2pm. Little did she know that I lingered outside school peering into her classroom for half hour( along with three other moms)until teacher saw us & closed the blinds!At 2pm, she was full of tales to tell.And she has never kept quiet since.Her Momaw Wagner used to say if Angie couldn't talk the soles of her shoes would blow off.Hmmmm....

angie shockley said...

Mom,

All those years of having a near perfect report card except for the part about conduct. There seemed to be a reoccurring theme from teachers year after year: she talks too much. However, now I can look back and just say I was simply practicing my gift that God gave to me! I just didn't know how to use it then! Now, He uses it to glorify Himself by me talking about HIM! Although it still seems to get me into trouble from time to time.... (no one please comment on that!)

Anonymous said...

i can't help myself, you do get yourself in trouble but it is better to (tell it like it is) that was my uncle george's statement.it works very well for you your real friends are still your real better friends now. i try hard to keep you from trouble, but sometimes i cause the trouble. then i HEAR from you. and that's OK sis see ya. Gal 6:9

Anonymous said...

Life as a mother requires lots of Trust doesn't it? Trust in the Lord to take care of them...trust in the kids that their relationship with Christ will carry them through...trust in promises of His word like "Train them up in the way they should go and when they are old, they will not depart from it." I understand how you feel Angie. We can only protect them so much, right? Your story with Abbey brought a tear to my eye. They are always our "babies" no matter how old they get. Now, I'm in another exercise of trust...David took a team of 15 people to Benin, West Africa yesterday to lead a mission trip. I covet your prayers. I'm subbing all week at Coopertown Elem. School, so I'll stay busy. Ya'll are in our prayers as well.

On the Leavell,

Vicki

angie shockley said...

Vicki,
We are all certainly praying for the Africa trip! Maria, one of our girls is on the trip with them. I will also keep you in my personal prayers this week knowing that you are home holding down the fort!
love you!