24 August 2008

distractions and fear

All the worship leaders wore white pants and white tops. The music artist wore white pants and a white top. Then there was MaryLou, Roxanne, and me wearing our white pants and white jackets. Sorry to all the other ladies who did not get the memo! MaryLou and I went ahead and let Roxanne in the picture, even though her jacket isn't exactly white. :)

What am I talking about? Friday and Saturday several of us girls from church went to the Going Beyond conference. If you have the opportunity to sit under the teaching of Priscilla Shirer, you must go. I have heard her several times, and every time I am amazed at how God is using her. That girl can bring the Word!

Today I had the chance to sit down and process all that I took in over the weekend. Isn't it amazing that hundreds of women can be in the same conference, and yet God speaks to each one of them in a different way? One way God spoke to me was through a quote Priscilla shared, "Satan can't destroy us (Christians) but he will do everything in his power to distract us". The distractions will be greatest when God is up to something.

Lately, the enemy has pulled out many distractions against me: I am desperately seeking God's wisdom, trying to discern His will for my family. Well, you can imagine how unhappy that makes the devil! I believe God wanted me to hear this so I can be aware of why there are so many distractions; now I can focus more on Him.

Secondly, building on this same truth, one of the greatest distractions that Satan uses against us is fear. When God is up to something in your life, the enemy will do everything he can to make you fearful. If he can place fear in your life, you focus on the fear so much that you can't see God at work and become paralyzed. One of my favorite scriptures is Joshua 1:9, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go". How could fear reign over us with a God like that?!


Have you had many distractions in your life lately? It might just be that God wants to do a greater work in your life. What area of your life do you see God moving?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

be careful sister

Anonymous said...

My biggest distraction lately was getting my new home in order. It really pulled me away from my spiritual life & I realized I have to be very careful to keep my focus on what's important & Who gave me the condo to begin with.