My second favorite season, that holds my favorite holiday, is in full swing. I did my annual surrender of summer and now am fully embracing fall. I only hate that fall is the last stop before winter. I think that is one of the reasons I cling to summer as long as possible. It reminds me of Sunday School in church. There is usually a Sunday School class that is for the eldest in the church family. You know, the ones that are named the "Joy Class" or something similar...as if that could really make that class any more appealing. You have to drag people into that class when they hit the age that makes them eligible for that class. Who can blame them for clinging to that "second to the last class"? Once you get into that last class, you know that's it! The next advancement you get is....well....you know.
As always, once I mourn summer and accept fall, I am in it deep. I truly do love everything about fall. The way the sun hits the trees in the afternoon, casting a warm glow all around, the lawns scattered with pumpkins and leaves. Evening bonfires wrapped up in a blanket, hopefully with a marshmallow being roasted. Turning off the lights inside the house, bringing the burning glow indoors with candles, creating a cozy setting.
I love all of the produce that fall has to offer. And, sadly, I love the sugary treats that seem to be around every corner. Those candy corns with a handful of peanuts....oh my. I find my coffee pot working overtime now that it makes a wonderful compliment to any cool evening. Which makes me want to eat something ooey and gooey. I live out the story, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"!
The most wonderful part of fall is that it contains my favorite holiday. Thanksgiving. This holiday is wonderful because there are no pressures that accompany this day. Well, maybe a turkey coming out edible! There are no gifts to be bought and none to be expected. No elaborate decorations to store since nature offers so many free decorations. Just the simple pleasure of great food, family, and friends. Oh, and the Macy's parade! As soon as it starts, the tv is not allowed to be changed to any other channel. It is a yearly torture for my family because I am the only one who cares a thing about watching the parade. However, I have a sneaky feeling that when my girls grow up and have their own families, they will feel nostalgic and it will become a tradition in their families as well. My apologies now to their future husbands!
The very, very best of fall is the reminder to stop and ponder all of the blessings that we have. A year can sure put one to the test. Many hurdles were jumped and obstacles tackled. But, we have overcome, my friend. No matter how rough things get, we can certainly find something to be thankful for. Fall is just a precursor to the next season. It's like warming up the car on a cold day to get it going. The season of thanksgiving, gratitude and blessings gets us warmed up for the celebration of the birth of our Savior.
What about you? What are some of the things that YOU love about fall? What special memories do you carry during this time of the year?
I am also excited to tell you that I will be having guest bloggers every few days to share with you their heart this time of the year! Stay tuned for November 1st!
6 comments:
Fall is one of my favorite of all times of the year. Like taking a walk around the lake with someone you want to be with.
I love fall, too! We are a people that have so much to be thankful for, we just take too much for granted.
I look forward to reading what everyone else will say, as well. However, you are not allowed to wait so long next time to post something of your own!
Love,
Mary
Heeeeeey- Welcome back! It's been long enough, don'tcha think??? So, I was thinking about being thankful, don't forget about Halloween candy (you know the bag that we will be going through as soon as the kids get in bed tonight!)
And pumpkin pie, pumpkin carving, hot chocolate, fireplace being lit, pilgrims and indians (it was their idea after all!) and- and- wait for it- wait for it- FOOTBALL!!!!!!! I love ya sweet girlfriend!!
Angie,
I know what you mean about the Sunday School Class! That is funny!
You always have a way of bringing a person into your circle. Your personality is contagious. One of the things I miss the most is your teaching. Honest, you are one of the most gifted teachers I have ever sat under. Take a break if you think that is what you need to do. But, you can't stop. Anyone that has ever sat under you will say that you have touched their lives in a powerful way.
Okay, I didn't mean to go off the topic. I just felt like you needed to know that.
Julie
Dear Christy,
Football? That's the best you got to offer?? College, maybe.
What about our Preds? Surely you are not dissing them?!?!
Dear Julie,
I don't really know what to say to that except a simple "thank you". That was very sweet and encouraging. I certainly miss having some of you in my classes! I love you girls.
Ang
Post a Comment