31 August 2011

history with marie and frank


I am off once again on another travel adventure. This time heading to Colonial Williamsburg. I have been there before but it was several years ago.
Upon graduating from High School, I took a trip to DC with some of my graduating friends...yes, I enjoyed a nerdy history graduation trip and loved it! We also hit Ocean City Beach (imagine that!) and I took a side trip to visit some family. My uncle is a retired Captain with the US Coast Guard and with his connections they took me to the Naval Base in Norfolk (and lucky me, there was a ship coming in filled with sailors..not that I gawked or anything like that). They also took me to Colonial Williamsburg. I fell in love with the place. I am so excited to go once again. I have even checked out some history books to fill in any memory gaps I might have about the House of Burgess, the Stamp Act, Patrick Henry, and the prestigious William and Mary College. I am also looking forward to having some lunch at Christiana Campbell's Tavern (George Washington's favorite hang out) and maybe desert at the Raleigh Tavern (Sir Walter Raleigh's favorite hang out).


This time I am chaperoning Marie and Frank, also known as my Mom and Dad. Marie and Frank? You know...Marie and Frank Barone. My mom doesn't like it when I refer to her as Marie. However, if you knew my mom.... I am also chaperoning the younger Aunt. Poor Frank. It's a good thing I am going along to protect him!
On a serious note, thankfully Irene did not do any major damage to this historical place. Everything is back up and running. So, a warning to Williamsburg...there is another storm coming. She will be short and dark haired, carrying one of those little American flags, riding in a carriage down the West Duke of Gloucester Street to the historical Bruton Parish and hoping no stops will be necessary at the Public Gaol!

14 comments:

David East said...

love Williamsburg

Mary Lou said...

We were there last year. Enjoyed Jamestown best!

Kristy Birdwell Hardy said...

i remember going when i was young with my grandfather. :) i loved it then :

Trent Roxanne Morris said...

We went to Williamsburg last summer, I wasn't impressed, half of the shops were closed. Liked Jamestown much better.

Denise C. Henning said...

I wish I could go with you! I LOVED Williamsburg when I went. Everyone was dressed in era wear and no cars were in the colony, only horse and buggy. They even had shows going on outside. The gardens were stunning. The food was wonderful as well.

If you get the time, take a trip over to Jamestown. I know that you will like it. It's just full of history for my cute, little nerdy history girl. :) Oh, and I bet you can even buy your cute self some maps! :)

Kathy said...

That is so funny! Frank and Marie!! Is Gracie going too? I didn't think so but I can't remember what you said. How will I survive a whole week without you?!?!
-Kathy

angie shockley said...

Mary Lou & T.R. Morris- I haven't been to Jamestown before but that is also on the agenda! I'm looking forward to it! Any thing specific that you loved? Or that is a must see or must do?

angie shockley said...

Denise- Glad to hear that Jamestown is so great! I can't wait. And, yes, how you described Williamsburg is how I remember it. It was alive with activity and rich in history when I was there. Hoping Jamestown is the same! And, hoping this nerd gets her fill of history!

angie shockley said...

Hey Kathy,

Awwww! So sweet that you would miss me! I have a feeling you can handle any and every situation perfectly fine on your own. You will be okay without me...however, I will leave chocolate in my top desk drawer just for you. Help yourself! And, no, Gracie and the girls are not going, they will be with their Dad.

I'll bring you back something! Love!

Trent Roxanne Morris said...

You have to get some steamed crabs while there. Daid Lyon and I tried eating some. Everyone in the place had crab meat on them by the time we were finshed. We went to Yorktown (you drive through the park with a map), toured the naval base, and toured Monticelllo on the way home.

Anonymous said...

Ha-Ha- Your mom may be a little like marie but what a woman! She can cook, clean, keep things organized & loves her family! Now Frank.. There no way your dad is like that! I know him & he is not like that. Be careful history has a way of repeating itself...

Anonymous said...

We used to live very close to Williamsburg. Check out the replicas of the nina, pinta and santa maria while you are there. Bush Gardens is really fun too. Now if you make your way towards Virgina Beach there is an awesome authentic Mongolian BBQ. Have a safe trip.

Ps. Thank you for your message it was very sweet.

~Leah

angie shockley said...

Dear Anonymous or should I call you Marie? Mmmhmmm....I wasn't born yesterday. And, oh yes....wow! what a woman. :)

angie shockley said...

Leah, I think a trip to Bush Gardens is also on the agenda. Thanks for the Mongolian tip! I'm always up for an adventure...I think.