22 August 2011

turning 39 for the second time

I guess I had it coming to me. I haven't exactly been the nicest person all these years when my friends were hitting milestones. There were jokes aplenty: gifts were nursing home appropriate, dinners were sympathy meals for the dead, tombstones were erected, yards embellished with new ornaments and so many others that I can't keep up with it all. Oh, I harassed them and loved every minute of it. I don't know how many times over the years I heard, "Just remember, you will be 40 one day" or "Payback will be coming". Well.......it did. This is what I saw when I walked out the front door on my birthday. All the pictures below (minus one) are from my amusing friends that have yet to fully come forth for fear that I will take revenge.
This next photo was the one that made ChloeBeth nearly die. She didn't see this one and a car honked at us at her school and she thought it was someone trying to say "hi", so she waved out the window...that's when I told her why they really honked. Mmmhmm...that's right...she slowly lowered herself down into the seat and was mortified!
Poor Abbie....they didn't even spare her! She had to drive to school announcing to the world that her mom is old!
Turning thirty did not bother me. No problem. However, turning forty was a number I was not willing to face. I have been dreading this number. Really, I just wanted to go out of town and pretend it never happened. It doesn't even sound like a pretty number. When you say the word "thirty", it has a spring or a bounce to the number. When you say the word "forty" it sounds like a thud. Ewww. Who wants to be forty???
Some of my friends think that I am having a mid-life crisis. Possibly. I am trying to keep it real. I mean, forty is forty. The only people that use the phrase, "Forty is the new thirty"
are the ones that are older than 40. I confided to a friend about a week before my birthday that I had begun reading the obituaries. Not because I was making sure my name wasn't there, but I wanted to know how old these people were when they died. Do you know how many people die in their forties and fifties?!?! Alot! I'm not afraid of where I will go when I die, I just don't want to depart early. And (gasp!) please let me die in my sleep. Nothing would be worse than a violent crime. And, how embarrassing if I fell dead in my Maine blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup at Cracker Barrel!
I guess that it is time for me to stop telling everyone that I am 33. I have used that number for awhile. But, I still refuse to use the ugly number 40. And, don't even make me think about 50! GAH!!! I will be "one of those" people that hang on to thirty nine...for the second time.
I do have one last departing word for the people who vandalized my yard and vehicle. For those of you that were in on it that are younger than 40, I have a very good memory and plenty of time to devise a master plan for you! For those of you who are older than me and were in on the "fun", guess what? You are STILL older than me!

21 comments:

Yvonne Brown Garner said...

‎40 is young......

Mark Johnson said...

At 40....you're probably actually perfect at everything that you always thought you were at 20....Now that's a positive thought...and I agree with Yvonne....40 is young...

Robyn Shockley Gray said...

At 40 u can start looking forward to being a grandparent in a few years well maybe not everyone but I am!!!!!!

Steve Morgeson said...

Wait a minute, its past 830p. Shouldn't all you old people be in bed? :P

Darlene Prickett said...

All joking aside, I've come to love being 40 something, it's the best time of my life. My best friend and my sisters pulled off a fabulous surprise party for my 40th, still can't believe they did it.

Marie Resha said...

what about that text i sent you")

Yvonne Brown Garner said...

Life seems to get better with age. I'm 44 and wouldn't change a thing.

Billy Wilson said...

It is merely another number, a milestone and nothing more. You are only as old as you feel!!!

Tina Phillips McSorley said...

My 40th was also my 10 year anniversary year so I was surprised with a trip to Hawaii by my wonderful husband Danny! He planned the whole trip and kept it a secret for 6 months!

Anonymous said...

Usually terrorist groups like to claim stuff, I can't believe as many people that OWE you, that many people didn't claim it. As far as that goes, I can't believe that is ALL that was done to you!! We should have all got together and had an outright funeral for you, you are BAD!!!

Julie

Leah said...

Happy Birthday Angie! Hope you have a great day. I am not too far behind you.

Anonymous said...

40! WOW!
It is just a # girl. Be glad you are still counting, consider the alternative!
I'm at the point someone asks how old am I. I reply, how old you think I am. What they say I agree with. Most time I'm younger. LOL!

Stephanie VanArsdale said...

To old for all that.. plus moved here and everyone thinks I'm an angel...

Cathy King said...

Well, lets see, something positive, by the time you hit 50, you won't remember these pranks, so, someone could pull new ones on you! :)

Angela Maddux said...

Angie...you are just EVIL!!

angie shockley said...

‎Mark Johnson- heh heh...you say that because it is next on YOUR list!

Robyn Shockley Gray- Lordy, girl...I am no where near ready to be a grandma!!! Not saying I won't love it when it is time, but I am hoping it is a loooong way away!!

Steve Morgeson- Go ahead and laugh. At least I don't have a baby in the house and I can sleep now ANYTIME I want! Nah! Nah! Nah!

angie shockley said...

‎Darlene Prickett- How sweet! I am going to try my best to make my forties as young and fun as possible! :)

Marie Resha- Let's see...my adorable 2nd grade teacher...I am going to go ahead and mark my calendar now for your special day!

Tina Phillips McSorley- Wow!!! Now that man is a KEEPER!!!

Cathy King-Always remember (well, that in itself is a stretch), you will always hit scary milestones BEFORE me. Mwah hah ha!!!

angie shockley said...

‎Angela Maddux- Mmmhmmm.....really? Kind of reminds me of someone else with a name very similar to mine. Wonder who that may be? Huh? Huh? TURKEY!

Stephanie VanArsdale- Girl, I knew you back in the day...no wonder you had to move so far to be considered an angel! haha! Just kidding, OLD friend! :)

Marie Resha said...

i will be the big 30 on june 15th so there you go lady

Stephanie VanArsdale said...

Lol girl friend... It's been a long time.. and I'm no different then I was back in the day...

Cathy King said...

Thing of it is Angie, is that I don't consider them scary milestones, I consider them a Blessing and I KNOW, how you think of them! LOL!!