04 May 2011

military wives and osama bin laden


Much has been floating around on the web about the death of Osama bin Laden. His death has stirred up many emotions and reactions, and I am no different. However, there is one group I am somewhat disappointed in- Christians. Certainly not all Christians. Many have taken a mature and sensitive approach to the topic. For that, I am thankful because they have not made the entire religious group look like a bunch of back-patting, self-righteous, super-spiritual people.
I have encountered thoughts about how, as Christians, we should respond. Many think we shouldn't celebrate the death of OBL, that we should be mournful because he did not know Christ. While there is truth to that, the words used to express their thoughts can be offensive to others who may not be a Christian or may have a loved one serving there. We have to be careful what we communicate so that no one misunderstands what we really mean.
What do I think? I certainly am celebrating the physical death of a man who had earthly justice given to him by a government ordained by God. He walked this earth as an evil, destructive man. I am thankful he is no longer able to spread his disease of hatefulness and wickedness. I am celebrating in the justice to the families that lost their innocent loved ones at the hand of a demented man. I celebrate that he is no longer walking this earth.
Spiritually, it is sad to know that he died a death apart from Christ. I do not wish that anyone should perish without knowing the saving power of Christ! No, I don't celebrate his eternity. But, I am not responsible for his own choices. He knew the Bible well. Well enough that he chose to discard it and to adhere to his own beliefs. He knew it well enough to deny Christ and turn his back defiantly on Him. I do rejoice in the fact that we serve a Sovereign and a Just God! If OBL were to die with Christ that would not be the God that I serve. I have peace in knowing that my God is Consistent, Fair, and Firm.
Having said all of that, the group my heart reaches out to is the military wives. I am familiar with the group because my mom has been in their shoes. My own Pop, who continues to work civilian for the Army in the Aviation and M.L. Division of Engineering, retired from 32 years of service to the Army after his last assignment serving in Iraq. During his Iraq tour after 9/11, my mom had to stay stateside never knowing any more details than the rest of us about what was going on. She had the same news source as we all had- the media. I am extremely proud of our men and women who serve in our military. They give up many luxuries and are paid way too little for the job of protecting myself and my family- here and abroad!
As the military wives watched the news of Americans gathering in celebration upon hearing the news of OBL's death, I can't help but think of the sighs of relief let out across our country. Oh, these wives know it's not over, but for one moment in time- one moment in history, they were able to justify all the sacrifices they give on a daily basis. How proud they must have been of their men! How honored they must have been feeling to be a military spouse at that moment! They were celebrating in a job well done!
Then to turn around and see many Christians, who had very good intentions, begin sharing their thoughts about the celebrating of OBL's death. The Christians meant well and their thoughts were more aimed at not celebrating his spiritual death. But what they don't realize is that some of them came across as pious and self righteous. Making themselves seem like super-christians by the claims of being "sure not to take delight" in OBL's death and being extremely humble. The problem is that not all military wives are Christians and even those that are might not quite understand the thoughts that were expressed. Some of these women have lost their loved ones in a war lead by this man. They may see that as ungrateful- even hurtful. If we want to show them the love of Christ, let's be careful to be sensitive about how we express our thoughts. Maybe sandwich our thoughts with gratitude to the military men and women on a job well done.
To all the military spouses out there, THANK YOU for what you give up on a daily basis. Thank you for the sacrifices that YOU make for our country. Thank you for loaning your spouse on the behalf of MY protection. Thank you that you have courageous spouses who risk their own lives for the lives of my family, whom they do not even know. I am so proud of the ones serving and the ones who they are married to! I celebrate with you on the death of Osama Bin Laden! I rejoice that justice was served and that YOUR men helped to do it! Much love and blessings to each and every one of you!

7 comments:

Katrina said...

A friend of mine pointed me to this blog after I, as a Christian military wife, blogged about the same topic. I thought you did a wonderful job in explaining what many of us feel. Thank you for understanding and not judging! I am happy that Osama no longer walks this earth though I mourn for his condemned soul.

Judy Dubberly said...

Angie your mom sent me your blog. I think what you said was thoughtful. They are many of us that sighed a silent prayer not for his death but for the fact that maybe this will be a turning point for evil doing. Each time my son Brad goes to Iraq I pray non stop for safety for him and all that are serving. He is a private contractor that goes not by choice but direct orders. I am a daughter, wife and mother of disabled veterans. Thank God for all they gave. SOME GIVE ALL AND ALL GIVE SOME.

Traci Jenkins Vaught said...

very well said.

angie shockley said...

Hi Katrina,

Being a military wife yourself, I take your kind words as a very high compliment. Thank you!

I also read yours and it was great as well. There are so many uncertainties for our military now. What to expect as the outcome of this? I can now only imagine the "holding your breath" that must come with the unknown. I will remember your family specifically by name.

angie shockley said...

Hi Ms. Judy! So good to hear from you. I haven't been able to see you since we visited you all when you were living in South Carolina (or Georgia?). Brad took me to the movies while we were there. Hard to think of my little 5th/6th grade boyfriend being all grown up! I know you must pray and trust God each and every day. That is where you draw your strength from to be able to be at peace with Brad being over there in such an unstable environment. Tell him "Hi" for me the next time you talk to him! Much,much love to you all!

Karen said...

I agree 100% with you! Thank you for making this clear for us. I have seen too much behavior displayed in outright glee and I have seen it stretch the other way by people saying we should be heartbroken. We are involved in a war, which is Biblical. He was killed because he resisted. Yes, he would have been killed anyway, but that is no different than the crime that we all pay for murder and he certainly went on a murder spree. Just my simple thoughts. Thank you for your voice. I always love to know what you think!
-Karen

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I am guilty of speaking on the spiritual aspect of OSL's death. As a christian I tend to speak on spiritual things too quickly. I am wired that way... Not sharing my whole thought process.(I can be sarcastic at times and if you do not know me you may not get me-this sometimes leads to hurt feelings) I see where people could easily get the wrong impression. As a former military wife I have the greatest respect for our fine men and women who serve. And there is great relief in a mission well done! Thank you Angie for relaying what most of us feel and are unable to express correctly.

~Friend