25 December 2010

Christmas thoughts

Ahhh....Christmas is here. Like many of you, I have wonderful thoughts about this time of year. I dream up fuzzy and warm images such as a white Christmas (which we have!), sledding with laughter, sleigh rides with wool blankets, twinkling Christmas trees, toasty fireplaces, garland mantels, gifts adorned with big bows, festive parties, dainty foods, crystal bowls filled with punch, pianos playing favorite carols... I could dream of many more while I sit and listen to my all time favorite Christmas song, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".


And, like many of you, I have other wonderful images this time of year. I think of lovely manger scenes, sweet baby Jesus figurines, ornate angels, children dressed in robes as shepherds, Christmas services with hymns, prayers, candlelight services, reading of the Christmas story, family gatherings, cakes made in honor of Jesus' birthday. I could certainly continue. Those are all wonderful, every bit. However, most of us want to stop there. It's nice. Sweet. Familiar. Happy. Lovely.

The images and thoughts we tend to ignore are what made Christmas necessary: bitterness, anger, slander, gossip, hatred, lies, deceit, adultery, murder, jealousy, theft, rape... Disturbing, isn't it? We want to do right, but we find ourselves not doing what we know we should. We live in a sinful, fallen world. We were a ruined humanity with no hope. BUT, a baby was born for a purpose. The purpose was to save us from an unbearable penalty- death in our sin. We desperately needed a Savior. A Redeemer. One who could be so perfect that He could rescue us. And that He did.

The images musn't stop there. We have to follow that sweet baby as He grows up into a man. He finishes what he started. He died on a cross because he was a sinless man and only He could be the perfect substitution for you and I. He made us right with God.

If we were to even stop there it would be such a waste. The amazing thing is that He proved to be who He said He was by being resurrected! He offers us a pardon and peace with a Good, Loving, Heavenly Father! Now that is one awesome beginning and end!



4 comments:

Sarah C. said...

Miss Angie- You made me cry! And that is hard to do! My heart needed to hear that message. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Angie,

I love your articles. They make me think and laugh at the same time. Thanks for helping me to see the whole story. I am guilty of not thinking about the real purpose of why we even have a christmas. I tend to want to only think of it with lovey feelings. :)

Happy New Year! (is there an article coming for that? hint!)

Love,
Lisa

Julie said...

Are the pictures from your house? I imagine they are. No one decorates as good as you do!

Julie

angie shockley said...

Lisa- New Year's post. Hmmm. I will see if something inspires me. :) And thinking of Christmas with "lovey" feelings is perfectly fine!

Julie- So sweet! But I really am not that creative. I usually get my ideas from magazines! And, yes, the pic are some from around the house.