05 December 2011

anna ward

One thing is for certain, if you are with Anna Ward, you are having a great time. We always have fun and laugh until our sides hurt. Most people would be quick to say that Anna is funny and upbeat. I love those characteristics about her, but most of all, I love that she is an authentic Christ follower. She is quick to share her faith and an encourager to other believers. I love my friend, she has been a sound ear for me many times and a very loyal friend. Oh, and she happens to be my middle daughter's "other mother". Our girls are two peas in a pod. I love you, Anna Ward!

I'm sure that we have all heard the phrase “count your blessings” more than a few times in our lives. I personally have counted my blessings on more than one occasion. But have you ever stopped to consider what qualifies as a “blessing”? For most of us, blessings consist of our loved ones, our health, our jobs and our comforts.
Lately, God has been showing me a different kind of blessing. He is teaching me not only to thank Him IN the tough times, but also to thank Him FOR the tough times. Let's face it, none of us likes to go through hard times. Not once have I asked God to make things difficult for me. Who in their right mind would want to suffer? But tough times come none the less, just like the Bible promises they will.
For most of my life I believed that tough times were God's way of punishing me for things done wrong. If I was suffering in some way it was because He was upset with me. By His saving grace I now know that trials are signs of His love for me. Realizing that He is shaping me and molding me into His likeness makes hard times bearable. I know in my heart of hearts that He will never bring me to a trial without going through it with me, and if He is with me then I have nothing to fear.
This song has been following me around for months. I have no idea what God has planned for me, but I do know that He will be right there to take me through the fire every time. For that, I am eternally thankful.


3 comments:

Shannon Benefiel said...

Psalm 119:71 is an important verse for me.

Anonymous said...

Why would a loving god want to teach you something through a trial? Wouldn't it be easier if he poured out his love to you? And if you are a born again believer, why would you be doing something that would require a trial to come upon you for a lesson? Don't you have the strength in you to not do wrong things?

Anonymous said...

Follow up to Anonymous,
Trials are going to come. God knows them each, every detail. I think He IS pouring out His love by walking along side of us THROUGH the trial. He doesn't leave us to walk alone. I would also hate to think that I would go through a trial and there NOT be something taught! Again, in God's love He chooses to teach us something in the trial. As for why we (christians) would "do something" that would require a trial to come upon us, the answer is simple. We are sinful people in a sinful world! Sometimes the trial are a result of our own actions, but sometimes they come because of someone else's actions. We are not robots, we are followers of Christ who are STRIVING to live as Christ would have lived. However, we are always mindful that we live in a world where Satan is the ruler. Scary? Yes. Worried? No. God will walk with you every step of the way through something hard. We are human and we have flaws.