23 February 2009

anxiety and dentists

This old photo of ChloeBeth sums up my thoughts for what I have to do today. Visit the dentist.
Most of you are wondering why in the world I am making such a big deal about simply going to the dentist
(and only for a cleaning!). True, it is not like facing aliens, sharks or tornadoes (right Brad?). However, to me, it is surely a high anxiety day!
My dental phobia could stem from the fact that my mother has always been terrified of the man in the white coat
(by the way, with all that blood, shouldn't they wear black?). She is so afraid that she has to have valium called in for her the day before going. Gee, mom, at least I don't need that. I only need the gas cranked up on high, a half-dozen extra shots of novocaine and an office full of patience.
Or, maybe the fear could be from the experience I had in the 5th grade. We lived in a little town with only one dentist. He also happened to be the town drunk
(which, of course, being new to the town, we didn't know). My mom is sitting in the waiting room while I am back having a tooth looked at. The guy decides we need to just pull it. What?! You don't just "decide" to pull a tooth! You have to prepare the person!! Especially a kid!!! So, he gives me a shot and comes back a little too quick in my assessment. After all, my mouth doesn't seem numb enough. Oh, no, he is the smart one with a degree on his wall to prove it. He begins to yank (oh, Lord, the memory is even right now making me break out in sweat). He keeps on yanking and I am trying to tell him that something isn't right because it HURTS. He continues! I think he even has his foot on the arm rest of the chair for leverage. I am now screaming. My mom is hearing me screaming all the way in the waiting room. Little help can she give when she is fainting in the chair. So, after successfully pulling out the tooth, I walk out of the office in a stooper, planning some kind of revenge. My revenge came. Two weeks later it was all in the newspaper that he was in a fight at the little movie theater and was arrested and served time for punching a guy in the face (guess he was still practicing his dental skills).
Now, the toughest part of this phobia is trying my best to be brave and not pass this on to my girls. Abbie has an appointment today too. I will put on my "no fear" face (and keep my shaking hands in my pocket). And while I am at it, I will put on two more layers of deodorant. Oh, and make her go first.
Most importantly, I will pray
(listen, don't you think for one minute I leave that part out!). Our Sunday School lesson yesterday focused on anxiety and worry. All those scriptures are jumping out at me today. He was already preparing this scaredy-cat.......
Philippians 4:6,
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here reading a booklet on the power of prayer...I think I might just practice on you today. Be brave my dear, all things, good or bad must come to an end.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can testify to the dentist thing! I went for cleaning today & was told I have a cavity. Dentist said small one but might as well be huge as far as I go. Ha-ha, Doc. The assistant said I should allow you 30 minutes?, his reply NO,better make it 45 with her. She needs gas & novacaine. And I reminded him I need my valum also. So pray for me on March 2nd.

Anonymous said...

You need to go to that new dentist office in Franklin TN. The one where they massage your feet and legs while they clean your teeth. It would be a long drive but heavens sakes it sounds like it would be worth it to calm you down!