11 November 2008

lancaster family

This morning I was pondering on how thankful I am for our Lancaster church family. You have been so good to us. We are truly blessed. You have been putting Scripture into action! Galatians 6:10, "So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the family of faith."

There are many of you who have played a large part in our transition to LBC. If I had the opportunity to give one of those "thank you" speeches at an award ceremony, it would go something like this....

First of all, I thank God for leading us to this new ministry field. How exciting to roll up our sleeves and work side by side in the coming years.

Thank you to the Pastor Search Team; Barney, John, Sean, Georgia and Della. You all made Lancaster look good! The church body did a great job in selecting you. Barney (Mr. Parker), you have shown your spiritual gift of service over and over. We love you and Loretta (Chris, Kim, Lauren and Parker too! And your cole slaw and sweet potato casserole!). John, I admire your quiet strength. Thank you for your financial wisdom and for always seeing that our accommodations were perfect. Sean, you are just a mess (I say that with love!). Your joy is contagious. You keep me in laughter. You, Page and the boys are very special to us. Thanks boys, for being good buddies to Abbie. And Jennifer, even though you were not on the team, thank you for helping Page with our girls and making them feel incredibly special. Georgia, I love you so much. You are a calming force for me. I can see you are the one who keeps "Toshika" -oops, I mean Rick, under control. ha! Thank you for all the emails that kept me encouraged and informed. Thank you also for loving my girls. Della, you my dear, were the driving force of prayer for the whole process. You are a great prayer warrior (And a good cook! Watch out Barney!). It is so easy to love you and Rodney. Walt, even though you too were not on the actual team, thank you for your advice and leadership in other important areas.

The Crutchfields: Greg and Heidi, you have bent over backwards to help us and it has not gone unnoticed. Thanks for opening your home to us and your third daughter. Heidi, thanks for going house hunting with me and for loaning your husband over to us so many times. We love you guys. Chris and Rhonda, thank you for using your God-given skills to help us with all the house work. And Rhonda, if I am ever sick, I want you to please come take care of me! Your gift of mercy is obvious. Jimmy and Willena, you two are precious. You have lavished us in love, especially the girls. Morgan and Madison, thank you for being good friends to my girls and treating them like sisters. Slade, my eyes are on you. :) Kevin and Spencer, thanks for helping out your dad.

Dana and Leah, thanks for having our girls over and treating them as your own. We will come back anytime for DiChervo Pizza! Leah, I feel a very special connection with you. Maybe because we share a lot of the same type of heartaches. I will never again see a butterfly without thinking of you. Thanks Brianna for being such a sweet friend to ChloeBeth.

Many thanks to those you who helped me paint. And paint. And paint. Sue, are you partly responsible? ha! Thanks for all you and Monty have done. Phil and Vicki, you threw up your sleeves and got started right away. Oh, and don't let me forget Vicki's little "my brother built that deck" stunt. You turkey. David D., thanks for giving up one of your days to help. Misty, I pray for you each Sunday as you bring us our lesson. David E., thanks to you (and your mom and dad!) for helping with all those boxes. Whew! We finally made it. Kathy for your help too. Amee, boy, you stuck it out all week. Thanks for taking away from your daily schedule to help me get organized. Cindy, thank you for the food. Oh, and for the expensive salsa I now have to buy! Thanks Michael for your patience at the hardware store (by the way, what a cute family you have!).

Michael and Sarah, thank you for the smooth transition. We truly love you and look forward to ministering side by side. And thanks Sarah, for being such a great mentor to Abbie. Stephen, Liz and Caden, we love you three! How blessed to have Abbie sitting under your leadership. Daniel, keep it coming! I absolutely love worship!

Allison, I look forward to digging into God's Word with you. Jenny, I love your enthusiasm for the lost. Tina, thank you for seeing about the girls at school. It makes me feel good knowing you are there. Allen and Tami, you have done much for us. Those t-shirts were thoughtful and kind. It really made the girls feel welcomed. Thanks, Allen for all the time you invest in our home. Joanna, thank you for making ChloeBeth feel at home during that first football game. Lori, what a sweetheart you are. Linda, I can't wait for Brad's mom to meet you. Bridgett, boy we had to bond fast, huh?! Wes, thank you for your book. I have a friend, Rebecca, who loves poetry. I will have to share it with her. Sky, thanks for making us feel at home online. Your computer skills are essential! Anna, you are a worker in the church and always enthusiastic when working! Jim and Kelly, you have blessed us beyond measure already. As I said before, not only did we get an incredible doctor but incredible friends too!

To some more kids. Claire, what a sweetie you are to Gracie. Isabella, your little smile makes me want to just squeeze your stuffins' out. Logan, thanks for all the texting to Abbie before she even came. Austin, my eye is on you too. Katie, thank you for being so loving to Gracie.

Now, have you ever seen a speech on an award show? Like me, they are too long and inevitably they always seem to leave out the most important person, like their spouse! Yes, I run the risk of leaving someone out too. However, it was not done intentionally. There are just too many of you to be thankful for! Please know that we love you all in the love of our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is with you in the picture?

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie-
I am so glad to hear that God is blessing you all there. I hope they realize what a great family they stole (ok, maybe not stole).
luv ya!
Christy

angie shockley said...

In the photo is Vicki (who helped me paint) and Heidi (who I stayed with when I was here house hunting).

Christy,
You are too funny. You know, the Lord gives and takes away as He sees fit. :)
much love to you!

Anonymous said...

Do these people really exist? Are you really at that church? I think you are just on an island, laying in a hammock with your laptop trying to make us think you went to minister in Kentucky. What kind of backdrop did you have to fake in the picture???
love, love and more love!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Sweet sis,
I am so thankful that you have loving Godly friends there at Lancaster. You are happy & that's all that matters. CHBC will be here forever for you to visit & I will be coming to visit you someday. Love ya so much!
Mary B.

angie shockley said...

Mary B.,
You are so sweet. Thank you for "rejoicing with those who rejoice" (Romans 12:15). I am looking forward to our girls party Friday night! Thanks to you (and MaryLou) for arranging it. What a way to kick off the Haiti trip- a PARTY!!
I love you.
ang

Anonymous said...

Does your Lancaster have Amish? Is the town very big? Is your church big? How's the shopping? (by the way....our church is looking for a new pastor...?)
So many questions! I'm curious!
love ya,
Tracy

Julie said...

Angie,
How exciting it is to see how God has made your transition so easy for you and the girls. I am looking forward to hearing about all that will take place in Haiti. I just hate I am gonna miss the slide show afterwords. Maybe you can do a blog of photos??? Much love to you.