08 September 2008

music and slips of the tongue

Psalm 66:2, Sing the glory of His name; make His praise glorious. Say to God,"How awesome are Your works!" Verse 4 continues, "All the earth will worship You, And will sing praises to You; they will sing praises to Your name."

Boy, that is exactly how I felt in worship yesterday.When the choir sings,"There is a Fountain", I have to contain myself for fear that you all might think I have finally lost it. My heart swells with an incredible love for the Lord when I hear that song. I even had to restrain myself during the medley of hymns. They were so rich and powerful. Don't even get me started on the sermon. I wanted to do like the guy in Brad's message and run around the room yelling, "That's what I want too!". Then the little slip of the tongue was just too much. I am still laughing. Poor Pooter, oops, I mean Peter! Sorry Brad, I couldn't resist.

My girls are like me. They love music. We just can't be still and sing. I believe there have been times when driving down the road, the person next to us would have thought we were in need of 911. That's just us enjoying singing to the Lord.

Brad and I both have bedtime rituals with the two younger girls. At first, we used to both tell them bedtime stories. Their Daddy would make up these lavish tales about "Norbert the Dragon". Those girls would be hanging on his every word. The nights that I would lay them down they would beg me to tell "Norbert" stories. Well, I tried. The girls and I both knew it was time I quit when Norbert was playing in the field with his friends and the next thing we knew, he was on an elevator at the mall. Yes, I was dozing off!

I decided to do what I can do best. Sing. Not that I can sing well, I just like to sing. Now our new ritual for the girls and myself at bedtime is Mamma singing them to sleep. I sing mostly hymns. My choice of music is contemporary but I felt like they hear that enough. I didn't want them to lose the love of the faithful hymns that are packed full of Truth. Yes, modern worship music is wonderful, but let's not forget the hymns. Let us pass them on to the younger generation so they are not lost. Recently, Gracie has been learning, "I have decided to follow Jesus". I get so tickled listening to her sing it at the top of her lungs while in the bath tub. I know the Angels in heaven must have their ears bent toward that precious little girl as she worships her Savior with the voice He gave to her.

Just to let Brad off the hook with his, *ahem-pooter* mishap, I will leave you with a slip of the tongue from Gracie. Our choir sings the song, "The Days of Elijah". After hearing the part that repeats itself saying, "There is no God like Jehovah, there is no God like Jehovah...", she asked me one day why in the world those people keep singing, "There is no God that likes to hold ya? Don't they all know God would hold you?" Simply precious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR SHARING WITH ME I ENJOYED READING YOUR BLOGS' <>< I LOOK AT THAT PASTOR BRAD WAS CHECKING US OUT TO SEE WHO WAS LISTENING? IT IS GREAT FOR OUR PASTOR AND HIS WIFE TO HAVE SUCH A GREAT JOY IN THE LORD!!! YOUR FRIEND <>< <>< LINDA (ETHEL)

Anonymous said...

I too love the old hymns. They take my breath away,tears will be rolling down my cheeks.I cant carry a tune in a bucket,but I open my mouth & let the words roll!I have been in the car with Angie & the girls. I'm sure people along side of them are probably calling 911. But hey, I say roll down the windows & let the music flow! I'd much rather pull up along side someone singing praise songs than a car with that thump-thump,vulgar stuff they call music.I'm sure you all have experienced that. If not feel blessed! So, Gracie you keep singing girl!
love ya all.Momaw

Anonymous said...

Angie, I do not tell you enough but know that I pray for you and Pastor Brad often. I respect you very much and you have such spiritual wisdom and it is such a comfort as I listen to your responses, prayer, and how you just listen to others realizing our lack of knowledge or spiritual growth but your responses are so Christ-like. The compassion and love you have for us all is amazing and know there are times you love us but would love to choke us too! Just a note I had on my heart!

In His Grip!
Looking for the big picture!
Bonnie<><

angie shockley said...

Linda and Bonnie,
You two have blessed me so much by your kind words. I only wish I were half as much of a person as you two make me out to be!
I love you all so much!
angie

Anonymous said...

alright, mother i am finally commenting your blog. :)

i will have to say that this blog was quite hilarious. haha "pooter".
daddy, you will never live that down.

i myself remember the Norbert the Dragon stories, and no, mommy will never be a story teller. haha, but at least she tries before falling asleep.